In the small town of Conway, South Carolina, as is true with so many towns in the south, there is another piece of American history. It’s found along Conway’s Waccamaw River Walk. The entrance to the River Walk serves as the entrance to an historical park. This park commemorates the Waccamaw Indians and the original inhabitants of Conway, which was originally called Kingston in honor of Great Britain’s King George II. Since many of its residents fought in the American Revolution, the name was changed to Conway in 1883 in honor of General Robert Conway.”
Conway originally served as a shipping outpost along the Waccamaw River in Conway. Numerous buildings and structures located in Conway are on the National Register of Historic Places. Now the buildings serve other purposes such as a canoe livery in the summer while another serves as a recreation hall.
There is a bridge that brings people to and from the surrounding metropolitan Myrtle Beach area into downtown Conway over the Waccamaw River. In the summer, it is a quiet area except for the gentle “thump, thump” as you hear the cars cross the bridge.
The Waccamaw River has many channels and capillaries making it ideal for canoeing. The Waccamaw River Walk is a beautiful place to spend a quiet afternoon.